What does Independent Bookstore Day celebrate?
Independent bookstores are not just stores, they’re community centers and local anchors run by passionate readers. They are entire universes of ideas that contain the possibility of real serendipity. They are lively performance spaces and quiet places where aimless perusal is a day well spent.
Indie bookstores, whether dusty and labyrinthine or clean and well-lighted, are not just stores, they are solutions. They hold the key to your love life, your career, and your passions. Walking the aisles of a good bookstore means stumbling upon a novel from India that expands your heart. It’s encountering an art book that changes the direction of your life. It’s the joy of having a perfect stranger steer you toward the perfect book.
In a world of tweets and algorithms and pageless digital downloads, bookstores are not a dying anachronism. They are living, breathing organisms that continue to grow and expand. In fact, there are more of them this year than there were last year. And they are at your service.
Join the party at Bluebird Books! Independent Bookstore Day Schedule of Events!
The following is a list of merchandise commemorating independent bookstores as champions of the written word. These items will be available for sale ONLY at Bluebird Books and participating independent bookstores beginning May 2.
1) Gorgeous Literary Map of the Seas from 3Fish Studios. Only on #bookstoreday
2) Huck Finn Literary Map depicting the river journey of this literary classic. Charming map will appear in Plotted: A Literary Atlas and is extended and expanded upon for IBD, thanks to Zest/Pulp Publishing.
3) Sweet/Salty Literary Tea Towels featuring sweet & salty quotes that champion the love of reading! Quotes from Lemony Snicket, Pat Conroy, Nora Ephron and Sherman Alexie. Only #bookstoreday
4) Broadside from Stephen King’s forthcoming novel, Finders Keepers, is a love letter to passionate readers, written in King’s own hand. Suitable for framing. Limited print run of 1500.
5) This "Bad Citizen Stencil" cutout is from Margaret Atwood. #bookstoreday
6) A collection of personal essays (and a few short stories) by many of our favorite writers who were given the prompt, “My ________ From Hell” and set loose. The results—which cover everything from online dating to the death of a childhood classmate—are often laugh-out-loud, frequently heart-rending and sometimes downright jaw-dropping. With cover art by Rich Black. Authors contributing include Anne Lamott, Brian Doyle, James Patterson and Mary Roach.
7) The GUESS HOW MUCH I LOVE TO READ onesie from Candlewick for the first time. Get one for the littlest reader in your life on 5/2/15!!
8) Jokes and riddles featuring original art from some our best-loved and most recognizable children’s illustrators. The jokes are a mix of old groaners, originals and a few shaggy dogs. Designed by Christy Hale.
9) 8. Original signed Captain Underpants print. Only at #bookstoreday
Attention Bluebird Books Customers ~ We are kicking off a new program to thank teachers in our area schools. Now through April 2015, we will accept nominations for the Teacher of the Year. Stop in and let us take your picture and record a quote about your favorite teacher that we will post on social media and in the store. The teacher with the most votes by the end of April will receive a Bluebird Books gift basket, filled with classroom reading materials, and a gift card just for them. It's that simple! What a great way to thank your teacher!